DISTROBOTO machines are former cigarette machines which no longer sell cigarettes, but instead, sell art in the form of miniature books, crafts, comics, music, film, animation and more, all for only $2.00 each! Any artist or creative person can submit work to sell through Distroboto (and you don’t have to be from Montreal to take part!)
May 24, 25 and 26 2014, come visit the DISTROBOTO machine at the look-out chalet on MONT-ROYAL! As part of the pluri-disciplinary arts festival CHROMATIC, one of our machines will be installed in the Chalet Mont-Royal, on the south side of the mountain, featuring an incredible view of downtown! (Click here for directions on how to get to the Chalet.)
Visit one of our regular machines in person anytime!
- Maison de la Culture/ Bibliothèque d’Ahuntsic, 10 300, rue Lajeunesse (métro Sauvé)
- Maison de la Culture/ Bibliothèque d’Outremont, 41, avenue Saint-Just (corner Wiseman, just north of Bernard)
- Maison de la Culture/ Bibliotèque du Plateau Mont-Royal, 465, avenue du Mont-Royal Est (across from Métro Mont-Royal)
- Maison de la Culture Frontenac, 2550 rue Ontario E.
- Notre Dame des Quilles, 32 Beaubien E. (corner St-Laurent)
- Casa del Popolo, 4873 St. Laurent (métro Mont-Royal)
- Le Divan Orange, 4234 St. Laurent (métro Mont-Royal)
- La Salla Rossa, 4848 St. Laurent (métro Mont-Royal)
- Café Cagibi, 5490 St. Laurent (coin St. Viateur)
- Le Dépanneur Café, 206, rue Bernard O
- Le Cheval Blanc, 809, Ontario E. (métro Berri)
- In Quebec City:
- Coopérative Méduse, 595 rue Saint-Vallier Est
- Cercle, 18h – 20h, 228 Saint-Joseph Est
- In FRANCE :
- Fanzinothèque de Poitiers !
How to sell your work in Distroboto
To participate, send a sample of the work you want to sell to the address below, and we’ll check it for size and suitability. We’ll phone or email you a few weeks later to let you know whether you should send us a full batch. Items cannot be larger than 4″ x 3-3/8″ x 5/8″. All work is sold on consignment for $2 per item, with artists receiving $1.75 per item once they are sold.
For more information about the Distroboto project, contact:Arcmtl, C.P. 55052 CSP Fairmount Montréal, Québec CANADA H2T 3E2
The Distroboto mandate
The mandate of the Distroboto project is to provide an opportunity to new and emerging artists of all disciplines – visual arts, film, animation, music, literature and poetry, crafts etc. – to gain wider exposure by making examples of their work easily accessible to the public.
The low $2 price of the work sold through the Distroboto machines as well as the original way in which it is sold encourages the public to discover a whole world of local art that they might not have otherwise encountered.
The fact that the project is administered by a non-profit arts organization allows nearly all sales revenues to go directly to the artists, who are responsible for the cost of producing the work sold.
Since the first Distroboto machine was launched in January, 2001, more than 750 local artists have sold more than 50 000 items through these machines.
Distroboto is operated by ARCMTL (Archive Montreal), a non-profit corporation, and is made possible in part through the support of Accès Culture and the program Soutien à la consolidation des organismes artistiques de la relève et soutien à la relève de Montréaldu Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec.
Arcmtl (Archive Montreal) is a non-profit organization founded in 1998 with the mandate of simultaneously promoting and preserving independent culture in Montreal and elsewhere.
Its preservation activities involve the ongoing acquisition of independently produced local cultural artifacts and publications — from books, zines, records, CDs to more ephemeral material such as promotional posters, flyers etc.
Its promotional activities include Expozine, Montreal’s largest annual small press fair. Since 2002, Expozine has grown to include nearly 300 different exhibitors who showcase their work in both English and French.
The organization also regularly mounts exhibits of works by the participants to its projects or of works drawn from its archives, and puts on various events, galas and concerts throughout the year.